Or, how something so simple cost me so much time.
My hope with this project is that with less friction to write and publish a note/article, I'll do it more.
If you like to use Mailgun's Europe region you need some undocumented settings in the ActionMailer integration to get emails out.
After getting back from a 3-week trip my plants were not in a good mood, there was a heatwave when I was gone and not all plants survived. Time to think of a solution.
Extend default behavior of code with Traits and default implementations. In this case we add new functionality to generated Protobuf code.
My site contains a lot of images and resizing them for different devices (mobile phone, tabled, desktop etc.) takes a lot of time and (upload) bandwidth. This is especially annoying on Hotel Wi-Fi in a far-away country. With the help of AWS Lambda and Rust I made this into a smooth process.
Markdown is great, but not so much when you have dozens of images in a file and don't know what is what. This little app helps me sort through the images.
In this post, I'll explain why we got really excited last week using Custom Metrics and Anomaly Detection to monitor MongoDB in our own (AppSignal) infrastructure.
A post about the statistics we use at AppSignal and how they work.
Query batching is a way to speed up your application. Instead of waiting on multiple client-server roundtrips to load data, everything is loaded at once.
Sometimes standard instrumentation isn't enough to track the root cause of a performance issue. Custom metrics help us track the missing pieces.
We've been using the combination of Mongodb, Mongoid (3.x.x) and Sidekiq for a while now and we noticed that lately our queue's were filling up, but we could not pin-point any bottlenecks in our system.
Not so long ago we noticed that our MongoDB servers were running out of disk space at an alarming rate. Because we host our database on SSD enabled servers at DigitalOcean, scaling up could cost us a lot of money.